Place:


Thurstonland  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thurstonland like this:

THURSTONLAND, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Kirkburton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near Stocks-Moor r. station, and 4½ miles SSE of Huddersfield. Post town, Huddersfield. Acres, 2,050. Real property, £3,859; of which £600 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,320; in 1861, 1,116. ...


Houses, 224. The manor belongs to H. Bill, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, not reported. Patron, the Vicar of Kirkburton. The church was originally a dissenting chapel, built in 1810; and became connected with the establishment in 1834. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school with £35 a year.

Thurstonland through time

Thurstonland is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thurstonland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thurstonland, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/934

Date accessed: 02nd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thurstonland ".