Place:


Shepley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shepley like this:

SHEPLEY, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Kirkburton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Huddersfield and Sheffield railway, 6 miles SE by S of Huddersfield. It has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Huddersfield. Acres, 1,250. Real property, £3,504. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1,200; in 1861, 1,432. Houses, 286. The property is much subdivided. Hall-Royd House is the residence of Mr. S. Armitage. There are several woollen manufactures. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £86.* Patron, the Vicar of Kirkburton. The church was built in 1848. There are a New Connexion Methodist chapel and a British school.

Shepley through time

Shepley is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shepley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shepley, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/933

Date accessed: 18th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shepley ".