Place:


Perry Barr  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Perry Barr like this:

PERRY-BARR, a hamlet and a chapelry in Handsworth parish, Staffford. The hamlet lies on Icknield-street, the Liverpool canal, and the Northwestern and South Staffordshire railways, adjacent to Warwickshire, 2½ miles N of Birmingham; and has stations on the railways. The chapelry contains also the hamlet of Perry, which has a post-office under Birmingham. ...


Real property, £8, 146. Pop. in 1851, 832; in 1861, 1,061. Houses, 176. Perry Hall was rebuilt by the Hon. F. Gough, in the Tudor style; and contains the manuscripts of W. Gough, uncle to Gough the antiquary. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £200.* Patron, Lord Calthorpe. The church was built in 1833, at a cost of £10,000; and is a fine cruciformstructure, with a tower. Oscott college is here.

Perry Barr through time

Perry Barr is now part of Birmingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Birmingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Perry Barr itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Perry Barr, in Birmingham and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/92

Date accessed: 28th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Perry Barr ".