Place:


Lapworth  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lapworth like this:

LAPWORTH, a village and a parish in Solihull district, Warwick. The village stands near the Birmingham and Stratford canal, 2 miles WSW of Kingswood r. station, and 3¾ N by E of Henley-in-Arden; and has a post-office under Birmingham. The parish includes also part of the hamlet of Kingswood. ...


Acres, 2,971. Real property, £11,722; of which £6,400 are in the canal. Pop., 630. Houses, 148. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to P. W. Martin and R. Dolphin, Esqs. The parish is a meet for the North Warwickshire hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £428.* Patron, Merton College, Oxford. The church is mainly decorated and later English, and has a very fine spire. There are an endowed school and charities, with collectively £397 a-year.

Lapworth through time

Lapworth is now part of Warwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Warwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lapworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lapworth, in Warwick and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9166

Date accessed: 27th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lapworth ".