Place:


Keresley  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Keresley like this:

KERESLEY, a hamlet and a chapelry in Warwickshire. The hamlet is in Coventry-St. Michael parish; lies near the Coventry and Nuneaton railway, 1½ mile NNW of Coventry; and has a post office under Coventry. Acres, 1, 058. Real property, £3, 012. Pop., 567. Houses, 118. The manor was given to the monks of Coventry, in the time of Henry III., by Roger de Montalt; and belongs now to Queen's College, Oxford. ...


The ribbon manufacture is carried on.—The chapelry includes also Coundon hamlet in Holy Trinity parish; bears the name of Keresley and Coundon; and was constituted in 1848. Acres, 2, 104. Real property, £6, 031. Pop., 792. Houses, 170. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £105. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church was built in 1847, at a cost of £3, 000; and has a tower and spire. There is a national school.

Keresley through time

Keresley is now part of Coventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Coventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Keresley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Keresley, in Coventry and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9150

Date accessed: 16th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Keresley ".