Place:


Wisborough Green  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wisborough Green like this:

WISBOROUGH-GREEN, a parish, with four hamlets, in Petworth district, Sussex; on the Arun and Wey canal, 3 miles W by N of Billingshurst r. station, and 6 NE of Petworth. It has a post-office under Horsham, and a workhouse. Acres, 8,484. Real property, £8,814; of which £603 are in the canal. ...


Pop. in 1861, 1,682; of whom 43 were in the workhousehouse. Houses, 328. Burchett Park is the seat of W. R. Rogers, Esq. Drunswich Place was a seat of the early Bishops of Chichester. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £440.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is early English. A chapel of ease is at Loxwood. There is a national school.

Wisborough Green through time

Wisborough Green is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wisborough Green itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wisborough Green, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9063

Date accessed: 06th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wisborough Green ".