Place:


Wartling  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wartling like this:

WARTLING, a parish, with W. village and Boreham hamlet, in Hailsham district, Sussex; 3¼ miles NNE of Pevensey r. station. It has a post-office under Hurst-Green. Acres, 4,736. Real property, £6,578. Pop. in 1851, 1,039; in 1861, 914. Houses, 139. The property is subdivided. Windmill-Hill Place is the seat of H. M. Curteis, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £400.* Patron, J. Graham, Esq. The church is tolerable. There is a national school.

Wartling through time

Wartling is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wartling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wartling, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9053

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wartling ".