Place:


Tangmere  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tangmere like this:

TANGMERE, a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex; 1½ mile N of Drayton r. station, and 3 ENE of Chichester. Post town, Chichester. Acres, 774. Real property, £1,612. Pop., 201. Houses, 47. Most of the land belongs to the Duke of Richmond. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £282.* Patron, the Duke of Richmond. The church is mainly early English.

Tangmere through time

Tangmere is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tangmere itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tangmere, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9032

Date accessed: 16th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tangmere ".