Place:


Stoughton  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoughton like this:

STOUGHTON, a parish in Westbourne district, Sussex; 4 miles N of Bosham r. station, and 6 NW of Chichester. It contains Walderton tything, Northwood hamlet, and part of East Marden village; and its Post town is Emsworth. Acres, 5,422. Real property, £3,799. Pop., 633. Houses, 121. Stansted House is the seat of Mrs. Dixon; and Watergate House, of A. H. Hall, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £260.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is early English. The p. curacy of Stansted is a separate benefice. Charities, £30.

Stoughton through time

Stoughton is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoughton, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9028

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stoughton ".