Place:


Slaugham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Slaugham like this:

SLAUGHAM, a parish in Cuckfield district, Sussex; 3¾ miles WSW of Balcombe r. station, and 3¾ NW of Cuckfield. It is cut into the sections of Handcross, Pease-Pottage, Warningfield, and Slaugham; and it has a post-office,‡ of the name of Handcross, under Crawley, and a fair on Easter Tuesday. ...


Acres, 5,363. Real property, £6,009. Pop. in 1851, 1,418; in 1861, 1,518. Houses, 289. The property is much subdivided. S. Park, S. Hall, Dencombe, Ashfold, Woodside, Colwood, Hyde, Broadfield, High Beeches, Slate House, and Handcross House are chief residences. Ruins of a quondam splendid mansion of the Coverts occupy about 3 acres, and include several Norman arches. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £460.* Patron, W. Sergison, Esq. The church is decorated English, and was recently restored. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.

Slaugham through time

Slaugham is now part of Mid Sussex district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Sussex has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Slaugham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Slaugham in Mid Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9015

Date accessed: 11th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Slaugham ".