Place:


Shermanbury  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shermanbury like this:

SHERMANBURY, a parish in Steyning district, Sussex; 2 miles E of Partridge-Green r. station, and 6 NNE of Steyning. It has a post-office under Hurstper-point. Acres, 1,911 . Real property, £2,389. Pop., 464. Houses, 73. The manor, with S. Park, belongs to Mrs. H. Hunt. Ewhurst was the seat of the Peverels; and has left a gateway, of early Edwardian date. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £387.* Patron, Mrs. Hunt. The church is ancient. There is a girls' school.

Shermanbury through time

Shermanbury is now part of Horsham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Horsham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shermanbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shermanbury, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9009

Date accessed: 09th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shermanbury ".