Place:


Selham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Selham like this:

SELHAM, or Sulham, a parish, with a village, in Midhurst district, Sussex; 3¼ miles E of Midhurst r.station. Post-town, Petworth. Acres, 1,042. Real property, £888. Pop., 123. Houses, 19. The manor belonged to Earl Godwin; went, at the Conquest, to Earl Montgomery; passed to the Arundels, the Montagues, and the Poyntzes; and belongs now to the Earl of Egmont. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £150. Patron, Brasenose College, Oxford. The church is Norman, and was recently restored.

Selham through time

Selham is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Selham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Selham, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9006

Date accessed: 18th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Selham ".