Place:


Fillongley  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fillongley like this:

FILLONGLEY, a parish, with a village, in Meriden district, Warwick; near Arley and Fillongley railway station, 6 miles NW by N of Coventry. It has a post office under Coventry. Acres, 4, 731. Real property, £9, 694. Pop., 1, 105. Houses, 247. The property is much subdivided. Old Fillongley belonged to the monks of Coventry; and the rest of the land was given to Robert Dispensator, and passed to the Hastings family. ...


"Here, " says Dugdale, "were two castles, the one north-east of the church, about one-fourth of a mile, to this day called by the name of Castle-hill; the other southward from the church, scarce half the distance, bearing still the name of Castle-yard, and unto which a park, of very large extent, was attached." The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £249.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, but good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. Avery's charity, for educating and apprenticing poor children, has £231; Green's school has £12; and other charities have £36.

Fillongley through time

Fillongley is now part of North Warwickshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Warwickshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fillongley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fillongley in North Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8979

Date accessed: 19th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fillongley ".