Place:


Rodmell  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rodmell like this:

RODMELL, a village and a parish in Lewes district, Sussex. The village stands on Ermine-street, near the river Ouse, and near the Newhaven railway, 3 miles S S E of Lewes; and has a post-office under Lewes. The parish comprises 1, 924 acres. Real property, £2, 122. Pop., 292. Houses, 58. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Abergavenny. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £375.* Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is of the 12th century, was restored in 1859, and has a tower and shingled spire.

Rodmell through time

Rodmell is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rodmell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rodmell, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8907

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rodmell ".