Place:


Poling  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Poling like this:

POLING, a parish and a hundred in Sussex. The parish lies 1½ mile N W of Angmering r. station, and 2¼ S E of Arundel; is in Worthing district; and has a postal pillar-box, of the name of Poling-Corner, under Arundel. Acres, 923. Real property, £1, 577. Pop., 203. Houses, 43. ...


The property is divided among a few. A commandery of the Knights of St. John was near the Corner; and has been converted into a dwelling-house. Extensive Roman remains were discovered in the neighbourhood in 1819. There is a wild-fowl decoy. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £220.* Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is ancient, and has a tower. There is a national school. The hundred contains also 10 other parishes, and is in the rape of Arundel. Acres, 18, 178. Pop. in 1851, 6, 354. Houses, 1, 212.

Poling through time

Poling is now part of Arun district. Click here for graphs and data of how Arun has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Poling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Poling, in Arun and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8897

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Poling ".