Place:


Plumpton  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Plumpton like this:

PLUMPTON, or Plumpton-Boskage, a village and a parish in Lewes district, Sussex. The village standsunder the South downs, 1¾ mile S by W of a station ofits own name on the Haywards-Heath and Lewes railway, and 4¼ N W by W of Lewes; and has a post-office under Hurstperpoint. The parish comprises 2, 423 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 390. Pop., 404. Houses, 50. The property is subdivided. The manor and much of the land belong to the Earl of Chichester. P. Place, an oldmoated house, was the seat of the Mascalls; one of whomis said, in the time of Henry VIII., to have introducedthe carp to England from the Danube, as well as the golden pippin apple. P. Plains command a very fine view, which was highly eulogised by the naturalist Ray. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £380.* Patron, the Rev. W. Woodward. The church has a tower and spire; and, with the chancel, was lately restored.

Plumpton through time

Plumpton is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Plumpton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Plumpton, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8896

Date accessed: 15th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Plumpton ".