Place:


Pett  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pett like this:

PETT, a parish in Hastings district, Sussex; on the Military canal, and on the coast, 4 miles S W of Winchel-sea r. station. It has a post-office under Hastings, and a fair in July. Acres, 2, 350; of which 409 are water. Real property, £3, 663. Pop., 320. Houses, 71. The property is nearly all in one estate. ...


A large tractwas overwhelmed and destroyed by the sea in 1250. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £512.* Patron, H. Young, Esq. The church was re-built in 1864, at a cost of £2,000: and is in the decorated English style, with a lofty shingle spire. Charities, £10.

Pett through time

Pett is now part of Rother district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rother has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pett itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pett, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8891

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pett ".