Place:


Newick  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newick like this:

NEWICK, a village and a parish in Lewis district, Sussex. The village stands near the river Ouse, 3½ miles W of Uckfield r. station; is a pretty place; and has a post-office‡ under Uckfield, and a fair on 1 June. The parish contains also the places called Painters, Lane-End, Schoolhouse, Goldbridge, Broomley, and Bretts. ...


Acres, 1, 966. Real property, £3, 982. Pop., 991. Houses, 197. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Mrs. Lane. Newick Place, or Newick Park, belonged formerly to the Vernon family, and belongs now to J. H. Slater, Esq. Beechlands is the residence of W. H. Blaauw, Esq.; and Newick Lodge, of M. H. Archer, Esq. Lignite coal is found; hops are grown; and there is a small brewery. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £387.* Patron, the Rev. T. B. Powell. The church is early English, ingood condition; and consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with low embattled tower. There are a Baptistchapel, a national school, and a girls' endowed school with £50 a year.

Newick through time

Newick is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newick, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8866

Date accessed: 09th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newick ".