Place:


Linch  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Linch like this:

LINCH, or LYNCH, a parish in Midhurst district, Sussex; on the Midhurst and Haslemere railway, 4½ miles N by W of Midhurst. Post town, Midhurst. Acres, 1,220. Real property, £733. Pop., 111. Houses, 19. The property is divided among a few. The manor was known at Domesday as Lince; belonged then to Ulric; passed to Viscount Montague,-afterwards to W. ...


S. Poyntz, Esq.; and belongs now to the Earl of Egmont. A detached tract, called Linch House and Cottages, lies near Bepton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £81. Patron, the Earl of Egmont. The church is a plain building, mainly of about the year 1700; but has a curious E window of much older date.

Linch through time

Linch is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Linch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Linch, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8805

Date accessed: 22nd October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Linch ".