Place:


Bothal  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bothal like this:

BOTHAL, a township and a parish in Morpeth district, Northumberland. The township is called Bothal Demesne; and lies on the Wansbeck river, near the Northeastern railway, 3 miles E of Morpeth. Acres, 3,027. Real property, £6,895. Pop., 642. Houses, 122. The parish includes also the townships of Oldmoor, Pegsworth, Longhirst, and Ashington and Sheepwash; and its Post Town is Morpeth. ...


Acres, 7,593. Real property, £5,510; of which £903 are in mines. Pop., 1,233. Houses, 241. The property is divided among a few 'The manor belonged, in the time of Henry II., to the Bertrams; passed by marriage first to the Ogles, then to the Cavendishes; and belongs now to the Duke of Portland. Remains of a castle of the Bertrams, and of an ancient chapel of the Virgin, still exist. Coal is worked. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Sheepwash, and the p. curacy of Hebburn, in the diocese of Durham. Value, £1,357.* Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church contains tombs of the Ogles. A school is endowed with £25 a year.

Bothal through time

Bothal is now part of Wansbeck district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wansbeck has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bothal itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bothal, in Wansbeck and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8754

Date accessed: 24th July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bothal".