Place:


Kirdford  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirdford like this:

KIRDFORD, a village and a parish in Petworth district, Sussex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Arun, 4½ miles NE by N of Petworth, and 5 W by N of Billingshurst r. station; and has a post office under Petworth. The parish includes the chapelry of Plastow, and comprises 12, 275 acres. ...


Real property, £7, 181. Pop. in 1851, 1, 955; in 1861, 1, 784. Houses, 342. The decrease of pop. was caused by the migration of young persons to towns. The property is subdivided. Shillinglee Park is the seat of Earl Winterton; Ifold, of John Napper, Esq.; and Ebernoe, of W. Peachey, Esq; Barkfold is occupied by Captain Barwell; and Sladeland, by J. Godman, Esq. Nearly one third of the land is under wood. A limestone of peculiar character, known as Sussex or Petworth marble, has been largely quarried, and is believed to have been worked by the Romans and the Normans. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Plastow, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £500.* Patron, Lord Leconfield. The parish church is chiefly early English, and has a large tower. The church of Plastow was rebuilt in 1856. There are national schools and a workhouse; and, at the census of 1861, the latter had 34 inmates.

Kirdford through time

Kirdford is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirdford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirdford, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8749

Date accessed: 29th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirdford ".