Place:


Iford  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Iford like this:

IFORD, a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; near the river Ouse, under the Downs, 2 ½ miles S by W of Lewes r. station. It has a post office under Lewes. Acres, 2, 173. Real property, £2, 538. Pop., 167. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. The manor house and the great tithes belong to the Rosseters. ...


The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Kingstonnear-Lewes, in the diocese of Chichester. Valne, £343. * Patron, Rev. T. Bedford. The church is Norman and early English, and was lately restored; and has a low square central tower, with shingled spire. Swanborough, ½ a mile NW of the church, is an old farmhouse, with considerable remains of early English and early perpendicular architecture; includes a quondam chapel; and was a grange of the priory of St. Pancras, Lewes.

Iford through time

Iford is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Iford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Iford, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8706

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Iford ".