Place:


Horsted Keynes  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horsted Keynes like this:

HORSTED-KEYNES, a village and a parish in Cuckfield district, Sussex. The village stands 4½ miles NE of Haywards-Heath r. station, and 6 NE by E of Cuckfield; and has a post office under East Grinstead.—The parish includes part of Dane-Hill chapelry, and comprises 4, 304 acres. Real property, £3, 740. ...


Pop., 790. Houses, 43. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Hon. H. Brand. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £505.* Patron, T. R. Davis, Esq. The church is early English and cruciform, with central tower and spire; and contains a cross legged effigies 2¼ feet long, and monuments of the Wyatts. The churchyard contains the grave of Archbishop Leighton, who resided here during the last ten years of his life; and over the grave is a new tombstone, erected in 1857. There are a Baptist chapel, and national schools.

Horsted Keynes through time

Horsted Keynes is now part of Mid Sussex district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Sussex has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horsted Keynes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horsted Keynes in Mid Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8667

Date accessed: 03rd June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horsted Keynes ".