Place:


West Hoathly  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Hoathly like this:

HOATHLY (WEST), or WESTHOTHLY, a village and a parish in East Grinstead district, Sussex. The village stands 4 miles SE of Rowfant r. station, and 4½ SW by S of East Grinstead; and has a post office under East Grinstead, and a fair on Whit-Monday.—The parish contains also the hamlets of Selsfield, Gravety, the Rocks, Duckells and Stoneland, Old House and White Hart, and New Combes and Old Combes. ...


Acres, 5, 333. Real property, £4, 850. Pop., 1, 120. Houses, 212. The property is subdivided. Sidlesfield Common commands extensive views. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £230.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with tower and spire; and was recently in disrepair. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £11.

West Hoathly through time

West Hoathly is now part of Mid Sussex district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Sussex has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Hoathly itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Hoathly in Mid Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8608

Date accessed: 09th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Hoathly ".