Place:


South Heighton  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Heighton like this:

HEIGHTON, or South HEIGHTEN, a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; adjacent to the river Ouse and to the Newhaven railway, 1½ mile N by E of Newhaven. Posttown, Newhaven, under Lewes. Acres, 923. Real property, £615. Pop., 104. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. J. Harman. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Tarring-Neville, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £412. Patron, the Rev. P. A. Fothergill. The church of H. was destroyed by lightning in 1769; and that of T. N. now serves for both parishes.

South Heighton through time

South Heighton is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Heighton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Heighton, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8597

Date accessed: 28th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Heighton ".