Place:


Tixall  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tixall like this:

TIXALL, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Stafford; 2½ miles NW of Colwich r. station, and 3¾ E of Stafford. It has a post-office under Stafford. Acres, 2,352. Real property, £3,338. Pop., 289. Houses, 45. The manor belongs to the Earl of Shrewsbury. T. Hall was rebuilt about 1780, and has a Roman Catholic chapel. Excellent stone is quarried. Two barrows are on T. heath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £200.* Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury. The church is good; and there is a Church school.

Tixall through time

Tixall is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tixall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tixall, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8580

Date accessed: 18th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tixall ".