Place:


Hamsey  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hamsey like this:

HAMSEY, a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; on the river Ouse, and on the railways from Lewes to Uckfield and to Keymer, 1 mile SSE of Cooksbridge r. station, and 1¾ N of Lewes. It includes the hamlets of Offham, North-End, Hewen-Street, and Cooksbridge; and it has a post office, of the name of Offham-Street, under Lewes. ...


Acres, 2, 761. Real property, £4, 220. Pop., 541. Houses, 105. The rocks include chalk marl, with lime crystals, pyrites, and oxide of iron; and a marl bank at the foot of a mound on which the old church stands, is rich in fossils. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £570.* Patron, Sir G.Shiffner, Bart. The old church is early perpendicular English, and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; but was latterly found to be inconveniently situated for the uses of the parish. A new church was built in 1861; stands in the hamlet of Offham; is in the early English style; and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with square tower and shingled spire. There is a national school.

Hamsey through time

Hamsey is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hamsey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hamsey, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8542

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hamsey ".