Place:


Hamstall Ridware  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hamstall Ridware like this:

HAMSTALL-RIDWARE, a village and a parish in Lichfield district, Stafford. The village stands on the river Blyth, 2½ miles N of Armitage r. station, and 4½ E by N of Rugeley; and has a post office under Rugeley. The parish includes also the hamlets of Nethertown, Rough-Park, Hay-End, Sandborough, and part of OliveGreen. ...


Acres, 2, 93 4. Real property, £4, 305. Pop., 440. Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. The old manor house has an ancient gateway and a watchtower, and is now a farm house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, Lord Leigh. The church is ancient but good; has a tower and spire; and contains monuments of the Cottons, the Combermeres, and the Egertons. There are a national school, and charities £42.

Hamstall Ridware through time

Hamstall Ridware is now part of Lichfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lichfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hamstall Ridware itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hamstall Ridware, in Lichfield and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8486

Date accessed: 23rd April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hamstall Ridware".