Place:


Pen Hw  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pen Hw like this:

PENHOW, a parish in Newport district, Monmouth; on Prat pill, 2¾ miles N of Magor r. station, and 7½ E N E of Newport. It has a post-office under Newport, Monmouth. Acres, 1, 784. Real property, £2 105. Pop., 293. Houses, 54. The property is divided among a few. P. Castle was very long the residence of the St. Maur family; retains an embattled tower; and is now afarm-house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £194.* Patron, John Cave, Esq-The church is good.

Pen Hw through time

Pen Hw is now part of Newport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pen Hw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pen Hw, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8445

Date accessed: 21st January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pen Hw ".