Place:


Felpham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Felpham like this:

FELPHAM, a village and a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex. The village stands on the coast, near the Bognor railway, 1 mile NE of Bognor; and has a post office under Bognor. The parish includes also the hamlets of Flansham and Ankton. Acres, 2, 254; of which 202 are water. Real property, £4, 992. ...


Pop., 592. Houses, 119. The property is divided among a few. The low lands here are liable to inundation by the sea. The poet Hayley inhabited a villa near the centre of the village, and was buried in the churchyard. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £166.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The church has portions of various periods, with a later English tower; contains a marble tablet to Hayley, with inscription by Mrs. Opie; and was recently repaired. The churchyard has a monument to Cyril Jackson, the early preceptor of George IV., and dean of Christchurch, Oxford.

Felpham through time

Felpham is now part of Arun district. Click here for graphs and data of how Arun has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Felpham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Felpham, in Arun and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8364

Date accessed: 18th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Felpham ".