Place:


Wootton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wootton like this:

WOOTTON, a parish, with a village, in Hardingstone district, Northamptonshire; 2½ miles S by E of Northampton r. station. It has a post-office under Northampton. Acres, 1,430. Real property, £4,707. Pop. in 1861, 837; of whom 45 were in Hardingstone workhouse. Houses, 162. The manor belongs to W. O. Harris, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £600.* Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The church was recently restored. Charities, £10.

Wootton through time

Wootton is now part of Northampton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Northampton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wootton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wootton, in Northampton and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8362

Date accessed: 22nd May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wootton ".