Place:


Falmer  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Falmer like this:

FALMER., a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; on the Brighton and Lewes railway, under Newmarket hill, 4¼ miles NE of Brighton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lewes. Acres, 4, 358. Real property, £3, 279. Pop., 512. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. ...


Stanmer Park, the seat of the Earl of Chichester, is adjacent; and the manor extends into the parishes of Stanmer, Chayley, Lindfield, Patcham, Rottingden, Chiltington, Kingston, and Preston. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Stanmer, in the diocese of Chichester. The church was recently rebuilt. Charities, £7.

Falmer through time

Falmer is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Falmer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Falmer, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8360

Date accessed: 03rd August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Falmer ".