Place:


Eartham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eartham like this:

EARTHAM, a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex; on Stane-street, 3 miles N of Woodgate r. station, and 5½ NE by E of Chichester. It contains part of Sea-beach; and its post town is Slindon, under Arundel. Acres, 1, 504. Real property, £1, 393. Pop., 121. Houses, 28. Eartham Hall was the seat of the poet Hayley, inherited from his father; passed by sale to the Right Hon. ...


W. Huskisson; and has been greatly altered. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £210. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is chiefly early English, but has a Norman chancel arch; and it contains a very fine monument, by Flaxman, to a son of Hayley, and a tablet to Huskisson.

Eartham through time

Eartham is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eartham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eartham, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8335

Date accessed: 20th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eartham ".