Place:


Earnley  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Earnley like this:

EARNLEY, or Ernley, a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex; on the coast, 4 miles NW of Selsey-Bill, and 5½ SSW of Chichester city and r. station. Post town, Sidlesham, under Chichester. Acres, 1, 182; of which 25 are water. Real property, £2, 061. Pop., 116. Houses, 21. The property is divided among a few. ...


The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Almodington, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £440. Patron, the Bishop of Chichester two turns, and the Duke of Norfolk one turn. The church is ancient, with a tower; and was reported in 1859 to need repair. There is an Independent chapel.

Earnley through time

Earnley is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Earnley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Earnley, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8334

Date accessed: 19th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Earnley ".