Place:


East Dean  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Dean like this:

DEAN (East), a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex; under the downs, 5 miles N of Drayton r. station, and 5¾ NNE of Chichester. Post town, Singleton, under Chichester. Acres, 4, 647. Real property, £1, 846. Pop., 343. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £86. Patron, the Rev. Henry Cogan. The church is ancient and cruciform, with central tower. There is a parochial school.

East Dean through time

East Dean is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Dean itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Dean, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8324

Date accessed: 20th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Dean ".