Place:


Danehill  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Danehill like this:

DANEHILL, a village, a chapelry, and a hundred in Sussex. The village stands 4½ miles S of East Grinstead r. station, and 6¼ NE of Cuckfield; and has a post office‡ under Uckfield, and a fair on 25th July. The chapelry is in Fletching and Horsted-Keynes parishes; and was constituted in 1851. Pop., 963. Houses, 199. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £90. Patron, the Earl of Sheffield. The hundred is in Pevensey rape; hears the name of Danehill-Horsted; and contains three parishes. Acres, 6, 832. Pop., 1, 181. Houses, 195.

Danehill through time

Danehill is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Danehill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Danehill, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8322

Date accessed: 14th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Danehill ".