Place:


Dallington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dallington like this:

DALLINGTON, a parish in Battle district, Sussex; 5½ miles SW of Etchingham r. station, and 6 NW of Battle. It has a post office under Hurst-Green. Acres, 2, 873. Real property, £2, 572. Pop., 591. Houses, 113. The property is divided among a few. The area was once part of the Great Forest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £182.* Patron, the Earl of Ashburnham. The church is good; and its tower commands a grand view. Sir Joseph Jekyll was a native.

Dallington through time

Dallington is now part of Rother district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rother has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dallington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dallington, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8321

Date accessed: 21st January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dallington ".