Place:


Cowfold  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowfold like this:

COWFOLD, a parish in Cuckfield district, Sussex; 2 miles E of West Grinstead r. station, and 6½ WSW of Cuckfield. It has a post office under Horsham. Acres, 4, 458. Real property, £4, 884. Pop., 946. Houses, 167 The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £452. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is perpendicular English, with an earlier chancel; and has a magnificent triple-canopied brass of Nelond, prior of Lewes.

Cowfold through time

Cowfold is now part of Horsham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Horsham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cowfold itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowfold, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8318

Date accessed: 28th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cowfold ".