Place:


East Chiltington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Chiltington like this:

CHILTINGTON (East), a chapelry in Westmeston parish, Sussex; on a branch of the river Ouse, adjacent to the Lewes and Cuckfield railway, 2¼ miles W of Barcombe r. station, and 4 NNW of Lewes. Post town, Barcombe, under Lewes. Real property, £1, 984. Pop., 281. Houses, 57. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Westmeston, in the diocese of Chichester. The church is plain.

East Chiltington through time

East Chiltington is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Chiltington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Chiltington, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8306

Date accessed: 09th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Chiltington ".