Place:


Burwash  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burwash like this:

BURWASH, or Burghersh, a village and a parish in Ticehurst district, Sussex The village stands on an affluent of the river Rother, 2½ miles WSW of Etchingham r. station, and 8 NW of Battle; and has a post office,‡ of the name of Burwash, under Hurst Green. It was formerly a market town, and still has fairs on 12 May and 4 Oct.; and it is a seat of petty sessions. ...


The parish comprises 7,321 acres. Real property, £8,817. Pop., 2,143. Houses, 422. The property is much subdivided. There is a chalybeate spring. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £699.* Patron, the Rev. J. Gould. The church is early and later English, and was restored in 1856. A chapel of ease, in the early English style, was built at Burwash-Common in 1867. There are an Independent chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £40. Burwash gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Westmoreland.

Burwash through time

Burwash is now part of Rother district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rother has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burwash itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burwash, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8292

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burwash ".