Place:


Welford  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Welford like this:

WELFORD, a parish, with a village, in the district of Lutterworth and county of Northampton; on a branch of the Grand Junction canal, 2½ miles SE of the Rugby and Stamford railway, and 10 ENE of Rugby. It has a post-office‡ under Rugby, and a r. station. Acres, 3,650. Real property, £6,857. ...


Pop., 1,099. Houses, 263. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £230.* Patron, the Bishop of P. The church is good; and there are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £6 a year, and charities £45.

Welford through time

Welford is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Welford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Welford, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8284

Date accessed: 01st June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Welford ".