Place:


Great Weldon  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Weldon like this:

WELDON, a parish and a sub-district in Oundle district, Northampton. The parish lies 4¾ miles ESE of Rockingham r. station; contains Great W. village and Little W. hamlet; and has a post-office under Wansford, and a fair on the Thursday after the second Sunday of July. Acres, 3,680. Real property, £5,403. ...


Pop., 816. Houses, 180. The manor belongs to the Earl of Winchelsea. A Roman pavement, 100 feet by 50, and a great number of Roman coins, were found at Chapel-Fields in 1738; and vestiges of an ancient town are higher up the hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £209.* Patron, the Earl of Winchelsea. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £7.—The sub-district contains 5 parishes and 2 extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 15,817. Pop., 2,543. Houses, 525.

Great Weldon through time

Great Weldon is now part of Corby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Corby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Weldon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Weldon, in Corby and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8279

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Weldon ".