Place:


Bignor  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bignor like this:

BIGNOR, a parish in Chichester district, Sussex; 4½ miles SW of Pulborough r. station, and 4½ S by E of Petworth. It includes the detached hamlet of Buddington, surrounded by the parish of Easebourne; and its Post Town is Bury, under Petworth. Acres, 1,145. Real property, £1,458. ...


Pop., 167. Houses, 33. The property is divided among a few. Bignor Park is the seat of JH. Hawkins, Esq.; contains some interesting antiquities and works of art; and commands striking views of the Weald and the South Downs. It was long annexed to Arundel Castle, and once the property of Nicholas Turner, Esq.; and, in the latter connection, was the residence of Mrs. Charlotte Smith, author of the "Old Manor-House," and Mrs. Dorset, author of the "Peacock at Home." Three very fine tesselated pavements, believed to have belonged to three apartments of a Roman villa, were discovered, in 1811, in Oldbury hill; and the villa is thought to have stood at the "Addecimum," or station of the tenth milestone on the Roman road from Chichester. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £143. Patron, Lord Leconfield. The church is early English; and has long lancet windows and chancel.

Bignor through time

Bignor is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bignor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bignor, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8246

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bignor ".