Place:


Berwick  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Berwick like this:

BERWICK, a village and a parish in Lewes district, Sussex The village stands near the river Cuckmere, 1 mile S of a station of its own name on the South Coast railway, and 7 miles SE of Lewes. The parish comprises 1,097 acres; and its Post Town is Alfriston, under Lewes. Real property, £1,591. Pop., 169. Houses, 34. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £362.* Patron, J. Ellman, Esq. The church is good.

Berwick through time

Berwick is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Berwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Berwick, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8242

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Berwick ".