Place:


Barcombe  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barcombe like this:

BARCOMBE, a parish and a hundred in Lewes district, Sussex. The parish lies on the Uckfield railway and the Ouse river, 4 miles N by E of Lewes; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lewes Acres, 4,983. Real property, £7,286. Pop., 1,090. Houses, 203. The property is divided among a few. ...


Sutton-Hurst and Barcombe Place are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £719.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is tolerable; and an endowed school has £68.-The hundred is in the rape of Lewes; and includes the parishes of Barcombe, Hamsey, and Newick. Acres, 9,710. Pop., 2,570. Houses, 485.

Barcombe through time

Barcombe is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barcombe, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8225

Date accessed: 22nd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barcombe ".