Place:


Sywell  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sywell like this:

SYWELL, a parish, with a village, in Wellingborough district, Northampton; 5 miles W of Wellingborough r. station. Post town, Northampton. Acres, 2,031. Real property, £3,083. Pop., 241. Houses, 48. The manor belongs to Lord Overstone; and the village was rebuilt by him in 1861. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £630.* Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church's chancel was rebuilt in 1862; and a parochial school was built in 1866.

Sywell through time

Sywell is now part of Wellingborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wellingborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sywell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sywell, in Wellingborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8201

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sywell ".