Place:


Ingestre  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ingestre like this:

INGESTRE, a parish in the district and county of Stafford; on the river Trent, the Grand Trunk canal, and the Trent Valley railway, 3 miles SW of Weston r. station, and 4 E by N of Stafford. Post town, Stafford. Acres, 868. Real property, £2, 566. Pop., 151. Houses, 26. The manor belonged to the De Multons; passed, in the time of Edward III., to the Chetwynds; belongs now to the Earl of Shrewsbury; and gives him the title of Viscount. ...


Ingestre Hall is the manorial mansion, dates from the Tudor times, and has been entirely restored. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £525.* Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury. The church was rebuilt in 1676, and contains monuments of the Chetwynds and the Talbots.

Ingestre through time

Ingestre is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ingestre itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ingestre, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8198

Date accessed: 27th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ingestre ".