Place:


Stowe Nine Churches  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stowe Nine Churches like this:

STOWE-NINE-CHURCHES, or Church-Stowe, a parish, with a village, in Daventry district, Northampton; 1½ mile SSE of Weedon r. station, and 5½ SE of Daventry. Post town, Weedon. Acres, 1,865. Real property, £3,888. Pop., 353. Houses, 85. The property is divided among a few. A tramway of the Stowe Iron Ore Company goes through the village. ...


There are remains of Roman camps. The parish is a meet for the Pytchley hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £705.* Patron, W. Gibbs, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1860, and is in the decorated style. There are a parochial school, and charities £24.

Stowe Nine Churches through time

Stowe Nine Churches is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stowe Nine Churches itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stowe Nine Churches, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8182

Date accessed: 23rd April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stowe Nine Churches".