Place:


Roade  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roade like this:

ROADE, a village and a parish in Hardingstone district, Northamptonshire. The village stands near the North-western railway, 1½ mile E of the Grand junction canal, and 5½ S of Northampton; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Northampton. The parish comprises 1, 600 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 840. Pop., 664. Houses, 172. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to St. James' abbey; was given, at the dissolution, to R. Fermor, Esq.; passed, in the time of James II., to S. Hoe, Esq.; and belongs now to the Duke of Grafton. The manor-house is now a farm-house, called the Hyde. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £103.* Patrons, the Duke of Grafton and the Rector of Ashton. The church is mainly Norman, with a tower; and includes an aisle of 1850. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a churchschool, four alms-houses, and charities £26.

Roade through time

Roade is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Roade itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roade in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8141

Date accessed: 05th July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Roade ".