Place:


Pytchley  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pytchley like this:

PITCHLEY, or Pytchley, a village and a parish in Kettering district, Northampton. The village stands 2¾ miles S of Kettering r. station, and has a postal letter-box under Wellingborough. The parish comprises 2, 833acres. Real property, £5, 269. Pop., 536. Houses, 127. The manor belongs to Lord Overstone. ...


P. Hallwas a fine old seat of the Knightleys; became the head-quarters of the P. hunt, afterwards removed to Brixworth; and has been razed to the ground. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £105.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is Norman and early English, with a tower; and the chancel was recently restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £23 a year, and charities £4.

Pytchley through time

Pytchley is now part of Kettering district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kettering has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pytchley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pytchley, in Kettering and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8132

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pytchley ".